This fried cabbage with sausage and peppers recipe is a quick and easy weeknight meal that won't leave you disappointed. Ready in just 30 minutes, this one pot dish is packed with flavor and will leave the whole family full and satisfied.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It’s quick and only takes about 30 minutes to prepare. Perfect for busy weeknights
- It’s budget friendly
- It has simple ingredients and easy to make
- It’s a one pot meal which makes clean up a lot easier
- It’s low carb
Growing up, my grandma and mom would make this southern fried cabbage as a side dish but I've made it into a main dish at our house by adding smoked sausage. Smoked sausage adds the perfect amount of salt and smoky flavor to the cabbage and it's hearty and filling.
Watch How To Make This Recipe Here!
Q & A
You can use smoked turkey sausage, kielbasa or bacon.
This meal is hearty enough by itself, but if you want to pair it with something else, cornbread or southern fried potatoes are excellent choices.
Yes. Remove the outer leaves and rinse the head of cabbage under cold water to remove any dirt or debris.
- Dutch oven with a lid or large deep skillet with a lid
- Large spoon for stirring
- Chefs knife and cutting board
- Green Cabbage- Medium to large in size
- Smoked Sausage
- Sweet onion
- Red bell pepper
- Green bell pepper
- Minced garlic
- Red pepper flakes
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Chop cabbage and onion, mince garlic, and slice red and green bell peppers
2. Cut smoked sausage diagonally
3. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or large skillet
4. Next, add onion and sauté until translucent, then add bell peppers and minced garlic and stir
5. Then add smoked sausage and stir
6. Add in the cabbage, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes
7. Stir, cover, and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Then lift the lid and stir again.
8. Cover once more, and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Then lift the lid and give it a one last big stir. Serve immediately.
Fried Cabbage with Sausage and Peppers
- Dutch Oven
- Large Spoon
- Chefs Knife
- Cutting Board
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 14 oz smoked sausage cut diagonally
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium head cabbage chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Chop up cabbage and onion, mince garlic, and slice red and green bell peppers
- Cut smoked sausage diagonally
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or large skillet and sauté onion until translucent, then add peppers and minced garlic and stir
- Add smoked sausage and stir
- Add cabbage, salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes
- Stir, cover, and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Then lift the lid and stir again.
- Cover once more, and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Then lift the lid and give it one last big stir. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is approximate. For accurate nutritional information you should refer to the nutritional labels on the packages of the specific ingredients that you used.